Monday 10 March 2008

From Nightmares to Honeymoons

I had little sleep until 4am because of pain and three nightmares. Andy was feeling a bit off colour as well. He came into see if I was ok and knelt on the bed to talk in doing so broke one off the slats, funny enough the bed feels more comfy since.

Pond news. the frogs have started to get it down, and the first lot of spawn is nestled in the weeds. I love frogs their great!

Its a very gray and windy day lots of damage to property and the coast line in the south. It made me think of our honey moon 34 years ago this August.
We were on the Norfolk Broads in a boat during a week long rage of bad weather. there were torrential rain and gale force winds. It was the week Ted Heaths boat sank can't remember the name of the vessel.
We arrived read to embrace the experience, neither of us had been on a boat nether mind steer one! That was fun. We had our groceries ordered on put on the boat for our arrival, good forward planing we thought one problem no matches, we don't smoke why would we need them? We set off into the middle of nowhere.
How do you get the fridge to work the same way you put the kettle on, the shower and the cooker by lighting the gas. One problem no matches o flipping heck! or words to that effect. After a few hours of navigating the broads in hellish weather for hours getting colder and hungry, we finally found a little shop. Great now how do you stop the bloody thing and who's going to jump off to tie it up. It would be me, I jumped skidded and landed on my knees, so far so good. slurped through the mud and rain to the shop around 70 yards up the side of the river to buy matches. Very wet and soggy bought said matches only to get close to the boat Andy looking loveing on, to slip slide and end up face down in very smelly mud and with the preshas matches in my hand. Splash my hand and half of me ended in the water from the swollen river, while swans pecked hard at my hand looking for food. Forgot to mention the shop was closing when I got there. Now smelly, wet and tied there were nothing else to do but have a tantrum I wanted to "go home! I hate it! I'm cold wet and smelly!" After a cold wash, clean cloths and a cuddle I/we saw the funny side, Tucked up in bed with the boat banging against the moorings as the wind and rain did its worst we tried to sleep.
Next day looking out over the broads it look like a battle had been fort. Half sunk boats clothes floating on the water, we'd been lucky. Must say the swans and ducks looked happy though.
34 years on and my feet still feel wet, must talk to the Neurologist about that.

No comments: