Sunday 25 May 2008

Whats that caterwauling!


Andy and my self were talking tonight about how we in general were discouraged from singing from a early age. Both of us would love to sing with out feeling to self conscious.
I know when I was a child I used to love singing and make up songs. then you get to an age where all of a sudden your family stop thinking how cute. they start saying stop singing you'll make it rain, what a racket and whats that caterwauling?
Ive done it myself no matter how good the singer if its one of your family our a friend a derogatory fraze is bandied about. With out thinking you crush the pure joy of singing out of that person.
I was in the church choir when I was eleven and enjoyed the power of the collective voice, even though at home I could no longer sing for fear of been ridiculed.
I remember singing a hymn in my bed room, one I was to practice ready for early morning song, the following Sunday. I sang thinking no one could hear. I heard my sister say "just listen to her". It might not have been said in the wrong way, but I heard it as, who does she think she is what a rotten voice. I slowly lost confidence and stopped singing in the choir.
Now at the age of 53 its very rare you will hear me sing. But if the house is empty or when I used to drive the car I can still belt out the odd song or two.

2 comments:

Gaina said...

Everybody can sing - you just need to learn to listen to the tune so you can sing the right notes :)

Why not sign up for a local choir or singing group - they'll put you in the right section which should be a great help in finding your own voice.

Give it a go, I dare ya! :P

just between you and me said...

Hi Gaina,
Nice idea to start singing again, but not for me at the moment. I have trouble just talking to people for more than a few minutes without being totally exhausted.
Singing with a group would be far too much. Plus just getting there would have me back to square one energy wise, as my stamina is so very low.
Thank you for taking time to make your comment, it's nice to hear from you again.