Thursday 22 May 2008

Its got Brakes!


I was talking to my Mum about the trouble I've been having getting my wheelchair. The social services where sending me a chair, little did I know the chair was to be one with little wheels. This is no good for walks in the country side, plus it wouldn't give me any Independence. Yes I know I can't wheel my self round with a self propelling chair, but at leased I can maneuver my self out of the way of people when needed, if I was left for a short time. So Andy's taking me to a mobility shop to look at some chairs as soon as the cars fixed.
Mum was telling me about her friends chair she said it was fantastic, and she will ask her friend where she bought it from. Yesterday she came in all excited with the news, Oh that chairs fantastic its got brakes and every thing. What a relief! bless.

2 comments:

Gaina said...

Don't pay anything!

Go and see your GP and tell him or her you want to be referred to your nearest wheelchair assessment centre. It may take a few weeks to get an appointment but you will be assessed by an Occupational Therapist and you'll get the chair you need. Ask about the voucher system.

If you have been through this process already, go back to them and tell them the chair they have given you is NOT suitable and you want the voucher so you can go and get the chair you need yourself - there is no way you should be putting your hand in your own pocket for this.

Can I recommend the Apparelyzed forum. They have great information and lots of friendly members to give you advice about this kind of thing.

just between you and me said...

Thank you Gaina
We have spoken to the social services about getting a voucher towards a wheelchair, when we realized they were sending the wrong type of chair.
I am going to the pain clinic on Tuesday next. I will take your advice and ask the occupational therapist about the chair while I'm there, hopefully she might help rather than going through the GP.
I have been on the Apparelized web site you recommended. I only spent 10 minutes on it and found out I'm not a freak because I don't sweat and can't always tell if I'm hot or not, and also some info on muscle spasms that looks interesting. I will be spending some more time on it over the next few days.
Thank you again Gaina you comment has been very much appreciated, Lynda