Wednesday 21 May 2008

Harry the Theoretical Vegetarian


















I've been surfing the net for images for a family blog site, when I came upon this cartoon. As soon as I saw this, it immediately took me back to when Angie (Andy's sister) first brought Harry (her husband then boyfriend) to meet us. Angie met Harry in Germany where she was working as a nurse in Ragensburge.
Harry is very lovable character and a caring person, who we all used to tease terribly.
Angie and Harry were coming for dinner, Harry said he was a vegetarian.
No problem, a veggie alternative was prepared. We sat down to eat, Harry started to fill his plate with meat, I said “I thought you were vegetarian”? Harry's reply in a strong German accent “yes I am, the only meat I eat is of animals that eat vegetables”. We do love him.
Harry was taught English at school and speaks it well, although he had some strange ideas of British life styles and especially how British home were decorated. From the books in his school, he was under the impression we had carpets or some kind of rugs on the walls of our houses. Strange what kind of things get taught in schools some times, it makes me wonder what I was taught about other cultures.
I'm sorry Harry, if you happen to read this just one more from our first meeting.
Harry and Angie had stayed over and were washing the breakfast pots. Harry noticed a pot in the window with tea bags in. (we compost our tea bags) Harry "why have you old tea bags in the window"? Angie " Oh that's because we use them again in England" Harry "Oh" with a look of bewilderment. Andy and Harry then went out to the shops, for what I can't remember. On their return Angie and my self had pegged up all the old tea bags on the washing line out side. Harry puzzled glanced at the tea bags, Andy looked at us with a 'you wicked sod's kinda look'. Back indoors, Me,"Harry would you like a cup of tea"? Harry very hesitant "Yees please, Can I have a new tea bag please" he said very politly. I'm not sure when he cottoned on to our little antic, but it was after they left.
Poor Harry, he now gives nearly as much as he receives.

No comments: