Saturday 12 April 2008

Mesolithic Man and Me


I have a love of archaeology especially stone age Britain. the most interesting part of the stone age is for me the Mesolithic (middle stone age, around 6,-10,000 years ago). While looking at a TV program on early bronze age, Andy said "isn't this one your favorite time periods?" "Well yes ish I prefer the Mesolithic times I think" He when on to ask why then whats the different about that time to the rest of the stone age?
With out writing an essay on middle stone age, its hard to put in a nut shell what fascinates me. We know in Paleolithic man (early stone age man) used stone axes, and Neolithic man used polished stones. The Mesolithic man used stone tools and flint blades, some used arrow heads of flint. A mixture of flint and bone where all used for hunting. This age we might think of as a time of human savagery and hunger. But I don't think it was any more savage than what was to come, The Dark and middle ages must have been one of the most barbaric times in British history. Any way back to the middle stone age.
The knowledge of the country's food calendar and what was good to eat is know lost. Some evidence shows we ate lots of thing that know would not even enter our minds to eat. Yes we think of some foods that were eaten then like nuts and berries, deer, and wild pig. What about otter, guillemot, beaver Aurochs(a large wild bull like animal with horns the size of elephants tusks!)plus roots and acorns! all these have been found on Mesolithic sites around Britain. I live very close to one of these sites, only 4-5 miles away, Cresswell Crags. An age was named after this site, 'the Creswellian age' used by the last of the nomadic people after the last ice-age.
Also at cresswell it has been found that people have been using the caves there for over 50,000 years. In 2003 cave painting were uncovered when a group of potholers were mapping the uncharted caves. These paintings are the first example of Paleolithic cave art in Britain.
Go back to Mesolithic Man I think were quite complex and held a vast amount of knowledge of not only what was good to eat but where and when to find it. The tools used were also very complex, flints were used very much like a modern tool kit to day. Flints were napped to make razor sharp knives, spears and could be used to bore holes in wood, and many more uses. Totally fascinating era which we know so little of and I know next to nothing. I think if I could have my time over again and could change one thing besides my health, I would have studied Archaeology and looked into this time frame in British history. I wouldn't let a little thing as dyslexia worry me. I'm sure I would have still made art as well, it would be interesting to think how more knowledge of stone age Britain may have influenced my work.

No comments: