Thursday 2 October 2008

Cant believe it, it's snowing on mars!






















Image from Hoax-slayer

It's 5:30am I've been awake for a couple of hours at least. A number of thing are keeping me awake, yes the normal aches and pains. Mainly my art and whats it about, and the news that it's snowing on Mars.
Scientists from NASA said yesterday that its instruments on the Red Planet have detected falling snow. The Phoenix Mars Lander has been sitting on the northern pole of the planet for several months, testing Martian soil samples for any materials, including water and ice that could support life. A robotic arm on the lander has dug up pieces of ice, the orbiter has also sent back pictures of what look like old fractures in the planet's surface, and trails of waterways.
The snow that's falling, are from clouds about 2.5 miles above the planet's surface, and apparently is evaporating before reaching the ground, but they are looking for signs that the snow may reach the ground. NASA also noticed that in recent soil experiments, the lander had found the presence of calcium carbonate, a main ingredient in chalk and clay. Both are formed with liquid water, this is so exciting.
As you probably know scientists have reported finding evidence of a system of river channels that flowed into a crater lake, slightly larger than Lake Tahoe in California. The orbiter has sent back information showing that there was water on Mars as far back as 4.6 billion to 3.8 billion years ago. This is a period of time that corresponds to the earliest years of our solar system. My head is spinning, and this time through the enormity of the findings (makes a change my from Arnold Chiari). I've got to say it once more, it's snowing on Mars!
It's 6:15 I think I will try and get some sleep if my imagination will let me.

No comments: