Monday 4 August 2008

Frog Prince and the Lilly Pad















Photograph of Prince earlier this year.


This is the story of prince and the Lily pad.
In our pond we had a frog called Prince. I called him prince after the children's book, 'The Frog Prince'. A prince had been turned into a frog by a wicked witch, and must stay as a frog until a princess fell in love with him and kisses him.
Of course a princess did find him and planted one on the cold wet frog, (yes right as if, but this is a children's fairy tale).
Any way our frog reminded me of the story book I had as a child. Every day I would walk up to the pond to look at Prince the frog on his Lily pad, and every day he was there. Prince was as very tame frog, you could get very close and sometimes touch him. Our cat Leah some times would soft paw him into the water, too tame for his own good. A few days ago just outside our living room window, Andy found a frog on it's back, as stiff as a board. On close inspection it had some damage on it's head, a cat claw may be. Andy showed me the deceased, I said I hope that's not prince.
A few days has past since then, and no sign of prince. Did Leah do for him, or could it be Suzanna the cat from the house across? We will never know, I would like to think a fairy tale princess came and give him a great big wet kiss, and they disappeared into the sun set. What a mushy, syrupy end to a frog's tale.
Prince's demise does shows you how Darwin's theory of evolution is put into practice. A tame wild frog is a dead frog, survival of the fittest or in this case the scared!

2 comments:

Andy said...

You sure you didn't give Prince at least a tiny peck just in case?

RIP Prince, but never forget that your toad in the hand is worth a frog in the... hmm... that doesn't sound at all right.

just between you and me said...

I love my toad more than any frog prince. I hope I don't get warts if I kiss a toad.